Step 2: Clean the Tank
Most Water Softeners that have a salt tank can go approximately four to five years without cleaning, but it is good practice to clean out your water softener annually to maximise its working potential.
Cleaning out your Water Softener is easy and can be done by following these steps.
1. Emptying the tank - To do this, use the bypass valve to shut off the water intake and clear out all the salt and water from the system.
2. Remove the brine grid from the base of the tank and set this aside.
3. Use a generous amount of washing-up liquid and mix it into 4-8 litres of water to scrub the entire tank interior.
4. Once cleaned, pour old soapy water and then rinse off with clear water to remove any leftover debris.
5. Once the tank is all cleared, mix roughly 60ml of bleach into approximately 8 litres of water. Let the mixture sit so it can sanitise the tank. This helps to ensure no unwanted organisms grow on the inner surface.
6. Lastly, rinse the bleach thoroughly and replenish the tank with water and salt as usual. It is ideal to allow a couple of hours for the salt to dissolve before regenerating the tank.
If you own a salt-free water tank, you typically don't need to clean it as frequently, but it's recommended to do so annually. You can easily do this by shutting off the water intake and draining all the water from the tank.
Then use hot soapy water to scrub away any potassium chloride that has built up from inside the tank.